Sunday, June 13, 2021

Scottish Heritage - Stories and Music



The Good Looking One and I attended the one Celtic Faire at the Genesee Country Museum yesterday. Plenty of good music - Scottish and Irish - some storytelling, some Irish dancing, and so on. We had a grand time. 

One of the groups with a table was the Rochester Scottish Heritage Society. I didn't know the group existed, so we stopped by and had a lovely chat with one of the men at the table. He actually knew what I was talking about when I mentioned a Burns poem that provided a cat I had long ago (Seamus T. Ferlie - James the Wonder).

There's only a nominal fee to join. Hmmm.

My mother was from Scotland, and I know the clan to which we belong - MacMillan. According to Ancestry (at least according to their latest assessment of the DNA sample I submitted, I'm 54% Scottish and 29% Irish. I did make that vegetarian haggis, after all!

I had been part of the Irish Singers Sessions (pre-Covid) and had been doing Irish songs, but why not Scottish ones? And I was a professional storyteller - why not Scottish tales? I certainly would not make it as a bagpiper, but why not a Scottish folk singer and storyteller? A bard and a seanchaidh.

Certainly worth mulling over.

Pax et bonum

No comments: