Friday, June 18, 2021

Reading - Mostly On Target




I recently read Outlaws of Ravenhurst by Sister M. Imelda Wallace, S. I, a YA novel from 1923!

I enjoyed it, and it also marked my 50th book for the year. With a goal of 80 books, I'm already well on my way to surpassing that total - and I still haven't reached the mid point of the year.

I've read 7 Shakespeare plays. My goal is 12 or more for the year, so I'm doing fine there.

I set a goal of 12 mystery novels/books for the year. I've already read 15!

Where I'm falling short is with my Bible goal. I began March 29 with a goal of reading the entire Bible in a year. That required read three pages a day. By this point I should have read about 240 pages. Alas, I've fallen far short. Leviticus proved tough sledding! I need to pick up the pace.

As for current reading, I'm working through The Pickwick Papers, part of my unofficial goal to read more  Charles Dickens. For spiritual reading, I'm working my way through From the Angel's Blackboard: The Best of Fulton J. Sheen. And combining Scottish and mystery interests, I'm reading The Cracked Spine by Paige Shelton. The book is the first in a series, so it is for me also research about how to introduce a series and characters.

On the waiting pile are:
Troilus and Cressida (Shakespeare)
Thistles and Thieves by Molly MacRae (mystery and Scotland)
The Blessing Way by Tony Hillerman (the mystery that introduced his Navajo series)
The Quiet Light by Louis de Wohl (I've enjoyed his novelized saints' lives, and this will prepare me for Chesterton's biography of St. Thomas Aquinas I'll be reading this fall as part of the Rochester Chesterton Society group reading)

At my current pace, I may have 52 books read by the end of June, and, projected over a full year, more than 100 books. 

Pax et bonum

No comments: