Monday, June 21, 2021

The Cracked Spine (Paige Shelton)



I read The Cracked Spine by Paige Shelton for several reasons.

First, it's a mystery, and I want to see what some contemporary mystery writers are doing.

Second, it's set in Scotland, and I'm currently exploring my Scottish roots.

Third, it's the first book in a series, and I wanted to see how a writer establishes characters and situations as I consider writing my own mystery story that could be part of a series.

Fourth, it's set in a bookstore, and I obviously have a thing for book! 

Finally, I compiled a list of Scottish-based mysteries and this one was one of the few on the list that were at my local library.

So I took it out. As I read, I kept thinking this was like a weak Aurora Teagarden mystery, melded with Outlander - the protagonist is certainly fixated on a manly-man wearing a kilt who will obviously appear in the series as a manly-man love interest who wears kilts.

Did I mention there's a manly-man wearing a kilt? The author certainly makes a point of mentioning it several times.

Now being like an Aurora Teagarden mystery is not all that bad. There are some good one in that series.

But this book has too many plot holes, poor character development, and situations and actions that are not credible. Overall, it's a pretty weak mystery story.

And what's with the protagonist hearing books talk???

But worst of all, the book violates one of the major fair-play for readers rules. I won't elaborate, but I found myself at the end thinking, "Oh, come on." 

Was it worth reading? Yes, especially for reasons 2 and 3. And it wasn't awful; I've certainly read worse books. But it's not a book that inspires me to run out and read more in the series. Maybe eventually I will, but I have other mystery irons in the fire.

Pax et bonum

No comments: