Wednesday, November 30, 2022

"A Bloody Habit" by Eleanor Bourg Nicholson



I just read the second of the books I got based on recommendations and ads in Catholic publications: A Bloody Habit by Eleanor Bourg Nicholson.

The book starts out strong. Interesting characters, and an intriguing premise, and a nice twist on the classic English vampire tale. Heck, Bram Stoker even shows up briefly! The main character was a bit full of himself, but certainly held my attention. But as I kept reading I did find, though, that despite the fact that the main character is a man I began to suspect the author was a woman - yeah, I really hadn't paid attention until that point. 

The ending chapters lost some of the "depth" of the earlier chapters. They became more action-oriented,  and as the pace picked up the book became less intriguing - though still enjoyable.

Overall, a good read.

It is a horror novel, however. Though it has a decidedly Catholic twist, and it's not graphic, it may not be to everyone's taste.

For me, definitely a better book than This Thing of Darkness by K. V. Turley and Fiorella De Maria, the first of the suggested books I read. Now on to the third of the suggested books, Toward the Gleam by T. M. Doran.  

Pax et bonum

No comments: