Thursday, February 11, 2021

Unnatural Death (Sayers)



My latest mystery read was Unnatural Death by Dorothy L. Sayers. The book has actually been malingering on my bookshelf for decades, resting by some books by C.S. Lewis. I'd read one or two of her books years ago, but not this one. With my mystery reading quest this year, it seemed a good time to dust it off.

It was a good read. Interesting plot. Wimsey is an amusing character. There is a definite feminine taste to the book, and you can't help but wonder if Wimsey is an idealized version of the kind of man Sayers wished she had met.

A couple of quibbles. I figured out a couple of the plot twists pretty early, so they were not surprises. There's also a bit of racial stereotyping of Blacks in the book that made me uncomfortable - and the use of the "n" word, while apparently sadly common in England at the time the book was written (even Chesterton fell prey to this), it was still jarring.

I'll happily read more Wimsey tales at some point, if the library has them. I don't feel particularly motivated to buy any, though.

Pax et bonum

No comments: