Tuesday, February 2, 2021

Writers I Avoid


There are a some writers whose works I read regularly and with relish.

Sometimes I get hooked on one particular writer. A few years back, for example, I binged on the writings of C.S. Lewis. I read some 25 books/collections of his between the mid 70's and the early 80's.

Over the years I have also read multiple stories/essays/books by G.K. Chesterton. I'm up to 20 at this point.

I have read multiple plays by Shakespeare. (Eighteen of the 38 so far - with a goal of reading at least nine more this year.)

Among other writers I have/still read voraciously are Charles Dickens, Robert Frost, Emily Dickinson, Ellis Peters, and Thomas Merton. 

But there are some writers whose works I read only if I have to. 

When it comes to spiritual writers, I am really careful about reading - and generally avoid - Father James Martin, Father Daniel Horan, Father Richard Rohr, Sister Joan Chittister, and Mark Shea. They have some good things to say, but they sometimes go off on heterodox tangents in their writings, and sometimes in their actions.
 
I am so uneasy about them that when I was offered a chance to subscribe at a discount to a Catholic magazine I wrote back to them to decline because they feature the reflections of Father Martin. 

Now, back to a writer I respect and like - and who does not spout questionable theology - J.R.R.  Tolkien.

Pax et bonum

No comments: