Thursday, September 16, 2021

Latest Reads: Three Mysteries


On the road to meeting my goal of reading at least 80 books this year I have reached 69 with three mysteries by favorite writers: The Dark Wind and  Listening Woman by Tony Hillerman, and Twice Buried by Steven Havill.

I find it interesting that both these authors are writing about the Southwest - the Arizona/New Mexico region. Rural and small town settings. Not an urban type, I guess!



The Hillerman books are typical Hillerman - good mysteries with interesting characters and liberal doses of Native American (primarily Navajo) culture and religion. The Dark Wind is all Jim Chee (who had been introduced in People of Darkness - which I have not yet read). His character is being developed in this book, and I see the beginnings of the traits I liked in the later books. Listening Woman is all Joe Leaphorn - a younger version of him than the character I'm familiar with from the later books.

Both good books.


I have read fewer of the Havill's book, but I still enjoy them, as I did this one. He offers interesting characters and good plots. Rather than doses of Native American elements, he offers interesting glimpses of Hispanic/Mexican culture. And It's fun to remember when he was my teacher in high school!

An enjoyable read. 

Given where Hillerman lived and Havill lives, and that they were both respected in mystery circles, I wonder if they ever met?

I will read more of both authors' works. For the next couple of books, however, I will be wandering off from mysteries.

Onward! 

Pax et bonum

No comments: