Tuesday, May 31, 2022

The Merry Wives of Windsor (I Guess)


I just finished The Merry Wives of Windsor by William Shakespeare as part of my quest to read all 38 of Shakespeare's credited plays. 

This was clearly one of his weaker plays. It was allegedly written following a request by Queen Elizabeth I for another play involving the rogue Falstaff from the Henry plays. 

I don't know the truth of that supposed reason for writing it, but it definitely reads like something thrown together in a hurry, or a bad sequel to milk money. It's not very witty, nor very merry, and Falstaff seems less robust as a character - and I was not a fan of Falstaff in the first place anyway. If I were a scholar or if I cared enough about the play I might be able to find some of the sources from which Shakespeare stole, um, borrowed. But I have better things to do with my time. 

I hope the Queen enjoyed it. I didn't.  

Three more plays to go:

Measure for Measure
Coriolanus
The Two Noble Kinsmen

Pax et bonum

No comments: