Thursday, March 29, 2018

A Too-New Church Building


I went to a recently opened church for morning prayers today The new church replaced one that burned down a couple of years ago. Although it is not my parish, I've been a part of that parish's men's group for a while.

It had a not-lived-in-yet feel. No dents. No worn spots. No wobbly kneelers. No occasional Cheerios left under pews by toddlers from last Sunday's Mass.

And it had a fresh paint/stain smell. My asthma was not happy. Not a full blown attack, just that feeling of discomfort.

Too soon.

I like churches that have been used. That have places rubbed and worn. That have years of incense and burning candles in their walls. That perhaps have the touch of years and years of prayers.

I think I'll wait a couple of weeks before going back until the new church airs out and gets an occupied feel.

But the morning prayers - and a rosary after - were nice. And I'll be back for men's group next week - they meet in the school cafeteria where we moved after the church burned and the parish hall where we had met was used for Masses.

The school smells okay, and has a comfortable lived-in feel.

Pax et bonum

No comments: