Saturday, March 17, 2018

Rupi Kaur - "the sun and her flowers"


Having seen my local bookstore poetry shelves generously stocked with copies of books by Rupi Kaur, and having seen her mentioned online repeatedly (usually gushingly, with words like "raw" and "intense" and "intimate" bandied about), when I saw a copy of her 2017 book, the sun and her flowers, on the New Books shelf at the library I decided to give her a read.

While there were some interesting lines, I found most of her poetry a little light and derivative, and somewhat cloying.

Indeed, by the time I finished reading the book one name kept popping into my head: Rod McKuen.

Maybe if I was a callow millennial female I might have liked it more, but, alas, I'm a middle-aged male English teacher.

And now, back to Annie Dillard's essays (Teaching a Stone to Talk) and the latest issue of frogpond.

Pax et bonum

No comments: