Friday, April 10, 2020

No more school?


The county executive today suggested that schools will not open again this school year because of the coronavirus.

It's not official, and there's a chance that things could improve enough to reopen them for at least the last few weeks of the year.

I have mixed reactions to that.

I do miss the students and would miss saying goodbye to them, as it's all but certain I am retiring in June. There would likely be some kind of graduation ceremonies at least - though they might not be until July or August - so that would be good. But it won't be the same. Plus, I'd rather be teaching the students in a classroom, and not by computer. One of the pleasures of teaching is interacting with the students. And I already have a curriculum I'm used to - with the books all at school. Teaching by computer is a lot of work, and a strain on my eyes, and on my backside and legs. I'm worn out by it. And I have to adjust the curriculum because I'm not in class with them to explain more difficult work. So I have to scurry about copying things, uploading material, finding resources online that I can use, and so on.

At the same time, I am planning to retire in June, and in some ways have logged out already. And I'm kind of a reclusive sort, so part of me welcomes not having to manage a classroom for weeks more, and all the emotional moments that might erupt when the students find out I won't be returning, and my own sadness at leaving them. Plus all those extra duties teachers have to perform have become more of a burden - grading, paperwork, parent conferences, and so on. Even the ones that used to be a pleasure, like directing plays, chaperoning dances, and so on have lost their appeal.

And I hate this current uncertainty. If the year is ending, the best thing that could happen would be just to end it immediately, period.

We are on Easter break, so I have some time to recoup (though I do have some essays to grade). Maybe things will be clearer in a week or so.

Pax et bonum

No comments: