Sunday, April 12, 2020

"Knight of the Holy Ghost" - good read


Knight of the Holy Ghost: Dale Ahlquist: 9780999375648: Amazon.com ...

I finally got to one of the books in my pile of books to read, Dale Ahlquist's Knight of the Holy Ghost: A Short History of G. K. Chesterton.

I had read a couple of biographies of Chesterton previously, and, of course, Chesterton's autobiography. But the book was still a good read. it reminded me of things I'd forgotten, and offered some fresh insights.

The book is organized into section, looking at Chesterton "The Man," "The Writer" and "The Saint." Ahlquist is one of the leading Chesterton scholars in the world, so he has plenty to offer in the first two section. As for Chesterton as a saint, Ahlquist is probably the leading promoter of G.K.'s cause.

If you are familiar with Chesterton, the book is still well worth reading. And if you are not too familiar with him, the book is a great introduction..

Meanwhile, I'm now insured to dig out a collection of Father Brown stories!

Pax et bonum

No comments: