Tuesday, November 7, 2023

The campaign comes to an end


My six-week write-in campaign for Gates Town Board is nearly over; the polls close in three hours.

I raised some pro-life and environmental issues. I got to meet some interesting people and to learn more about things going on in my town. 

When I started, I thought I'd be happy if I got 10 votes. Thanks to meeting some new people and an environmental issue/group, it might even be possible to get 20 vote, and I'd be really pleased if I got 25. Of course, I may still just get 10. Or even fewer. 

Humility is good for the soul.

I also saw that the same personality traits that convinced me I would be a poor insurance salesman back when I tried to work with my father were interfering with my ability to campaign. I'm too reserved, too private, too reclusive; not a people person. Oh, I interact fine when I have to, but I'd rather avoid interacting to any great extent. 

I'm basically a hermit.

I also discovered how easy it would be to get drawn into the nastiness and pandering of politics.

And I realized how dead and ineffective the American Solidarity Party is in New York. After repeated attempts for the six weeks to get responses from them, I finally got contacted by a state ASP official the day before the election! Too late to do anything.

Will I run again, and make it a regular campaign rather than a quixotic write-in one? 

Not likely.

I have more important things to focus on. My faith life. My Parish. My Fraternity. My writing.

But I'm enough of a political junkie to still be hoping for 25 votes!

Pax et bonum

No comments: