Saturday, November 4, 2023

My Town Board Campaign



Back on September 27, I announced I was running as a write-in candidate for Gates Town Board.

Several factors led me to make this decision.

One was that the two officially announced candidates were running unopposed. They were running as Republicans with cross endorsement by the Conservative Party. But the other parties active locally  - the Democrats, the Greens, the Libertarians - didn't have anyone running. Nothing against the candidates personally, but with them running unopposed the people of Gates had no choice; that's not democracy.

I also thought that this would give me a chance to promote some of my pro-life,, environmental, and open government values.

Finally, I thought it would be a way to promote the American Solidarity Party.

My initial campaign pledges included banning Planned Parenthood from town sponsored and financed events, and preserving green space in the town. 

They now stand at:

- Banning Planned Parenthood from all town sponsored and financed events
- Passing a resolution in opposing to State Legislature efforts to legalize physician-assisted suicide
- Seeking to declare Gates a Sanctuary for the Unborn, either by Board vote or through a proposal on the ballot
- Preserving or adding green space in Gates as much as possible
- Opposing the use of part of the Dolomite Forest donation for the Highway Department or as a dumping ground
- Placing a proposal on a future ballot to determine the use of the Dolomite Forest donation
- Banning the use of poisonous or carcinogenic lawn treatments in the town
- Broadcasting all town public meetings through some means such as a YouTube channel 
- Passing term limits for Town Board members 

My race is a long-shot one. But even if I don't win, these are still ideas I'd like to see implemented. My campaign will hopefully help to draw attention to these issues.

It's now been five weeks since I have announced. I've actually picked up some support. And I've been in contact with state and national officials of the American Solidarity Party. 

At this point, it's in the voters' hands. 

Pax et bonum

No comments: