Monday, November 13, 2023

The King of Elfland's Daughter (Dunsany)


Some friends who are fantasy fans touted The King of Elfland's Daughter by Lord Dunsany as a book I should read.

I took their advice.

There are some interesting elements to the book. I thought the treatment of the trolls was amusing and different than what I've seen elsewhere. I liked the idea of there being a crossable boundary between the world we know and Elfland. The romance between the Elf Princess and the human Prince had me wondering if Tolkien had read this book and was unconsciously inspired to create his romance between Arwen and Aragorn.

I can see why my fantasy-fan friends like the book, and why it's considered a significant fantasy work by critics and fantasy writers.

But in the end I did not like the book. I wanted to see more of Elfland. The brutal killing of a unicorn, and the hunting of others, turned me off. I didn't find the characters particulalry appealing - except, maybe, the trolls! I didn't find the ending satisfying.

I like some fantasy works, but this novel didn't make it for me.

Pax et bonum

No comments: