Thursday, December 9, 2021

The Comedy of Errors (Shakespeare)


Okay, so I did go beyond the 12 Shakespeare plays I set as a goal for this year.

I was at the library and spotted a copy of The Comedy of Errors. Now I'm up to 13 Shakespeare plays for 2021.

The play was an early effort, and it was clearly derivative.  I'm not even sure Shakespeare wrote all of it - it had elements that seemed Shakespearean, but some that did not. 

It was also short. Might it have been done originally with another short play, or perhaps some musical entertainment?

It was a bit of fluff involving twins and mixed-up identities - how many stories, plays, movies, and television shows have used that cliche! To be honest, many of them handled it better. It was amusing, but not high comedy, None of the characters seemed particularly memorable. And I think this play was better suited to seeing than to reading.  

Be all that as it may, I'm now down to 11 of his 38 plays that I haven't read yet. The goal remains to read them all before the end of 2022.

Chronologically, of the unread plays, Titus Andronicus should be next.
  
Pax et bonum

No comments: