Friday, December 10, 2021

Reading goals


I've already noted that next year I will not have an overall reading goal (though I will have some specific ones).

In thinking about why this year's goal made me uncomfortable, I came to a realization.

The books I was reading were ones that interested me and that I wanted to read - either because they were of a genre or writer I liked, they caught my attention, or they seemed good to read for particular reasons.

Many of the books were well-written, had interesting plots and/or characters, and did a good job of dealing with topics or themes that interested me. But I found that in keeping count, sometimes the counting overshadowed the quality. The quality was still there, but my attention was shadowed by something else.

I don't want to ruin the books.

So next year, no overall total. I will likely still read a lot of books, but I will savor them becauseof themselves, and not because they are numbers 67 or 71.  

Pax et bonum

No comments: