Tuesday, December 14, 2021

Those Greeks


I've been reading a wonderful collection of the late Father James Schall's essays - Second Readings. In the essays he repeatedly mentions Plato and Aristotle and their writings.

I read some of the works he mentioned - in whole or part - back when I was a Philosophy minor in college. In other words, a long time ago.

Some of the titles I remember, but, I can't honestly say if I've just heard of them, or read them to some degree.

Of Plato -
The Republic. (I'm pretty sure I only read excerpts of this one) 
Crito
Phaedo
Phadrus
Symposium

Of Aristotle - 
Ethics
Poetics (some of this was also read in literature classes)

His discussion of them has me thinking they might be worth revisiting. I think I have some of them tucked away in storage boxes. I checked our local library - they have some of them buried in their stacks. I guess Greek philosophers are not high on the list of circulated titles!

Right now I'm working on the Schall book, a book about the Jesus Prayer, and Pope Leo XIII"s Rerum Novarum. I need to finish those. Also, being in a Greek mood, I borrowed a copy of Aristophanes's Lysistrata from the library, so I''ll read that one as well. After that, maybe a little philosophy. 

Pax et bonum

No comments: