Thursday, December 30, 2021

Read in 2021


Since there are only two day left in the year, and I'm tied up tomorrow, it's highly unlikely I'll finish another book or play for the year. So the final tally is 95. I exceeded the goal I st at the beginning of the year by 5.

I had a few other goals at the beginning of the year.

I wanted to read at least 12 mysteries. I read 23.

I set a goal of reading by the end of 2022 the 24 Shakespeare plays that I hadn't yet read - that worked out to 12 of them each year. This year I read 13, leaving 11 for 2022.

I wanted to continue reading Robert Frost's published books - I did read three of them.

I wanted to reread the Lord of the Rings Trilogy. I did. 

I wanted to read a previously unread Dickens' book. I read The Pickwick Papers.

There were other books I wanted to read, and did. Among them were Resisting Throwaway Culture: How a Consistent Life Ethic Can Unite a Fractured People by Charles Camosy. The Diary of a Country Priest by Georges Bernanos, and 40 Days for Life.

But there were others I wanted to read, but did not. Those included Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis and The Imitation of Christ by Thomas a Kempis.

So I do want to read those two spiritual works this year. I want to read more of Frost, and more mysteries - including more the Tony Hillerman Leaphorn/Chee books. I plan to finish the last 11 of Shakespeare's plays that I have not yet read. I want to read at least one more Dickens that I have yet read. I want to reread some classics that I read decades ago - The Brother Karamazov by Dostoyevsky, for example.

But I'm not setting a total number goal. I suspect the figure will still be in the 60s or 70s.

As for 2021 - here's the list:  

How I Discovered Poetry by Marilyn Nelson
Visiting the Wind: Haiku Society of America Members’ Anthology 2021
Proof: Poems By Steven Huff
Lean by John Slater
Haiku: A Poet’s Guide by Lee Gurga
Legacy: Women Poets of the Harlem Renaissance - collected, with original poems, by Nikki Grimes
Hilaire Belloc’s Cautionary Verses
The Essence of Modern Haiku: 300 Poems by Seishi Yamaguchi
Adelaide Crapsey by Mary Elizabeth Osborn
Times Three by Phyllis McGinley
Haiku Inspirations by Tom Lowenstein
The Complete Nonsense Books of Edward Lear
Love Poems for the Very Married by Lois Wyse
West-Running Brook by Robert Frost
New Hampshire by Robert Frost
Mountain Interval by Robert Frost

Across Five Aprils by Irene Hunt
Outlaws of Ravenhurst by Sister M. Imelda Wallace, S.L.
The Amulet of Power (Will Wilder #3) by Raymond Arroyo

The Jesus Prayer: The Ancient Desert Prayer That Tunes the Heart to God by Frederica Mathewes-Green
Second Readings: Literary, Philosophical, & Liturgical Essays by Father James V Schall
From the Angel’s Blackboard: The Best of Fulton J. Sheen
The Quiet Light by Louis de Wohl
Assisi: Three Guided Itineraries to the Town by Adriano Cioci and Rizia Guarnieri
Laudato Si by Pope Francis
Chesterton in Black and White
Orthodoxy by G. K. Chesterton
The Soul’s Journey into God by Saint Bonaventure
Everyday Epiphanies: Seeing the Sacred in Every Thing by Sister Melannie Svoboda, SND
Lord of the World by Monsignor Robert Hugh Benson
The Diary of a Country Priest by Georges Bernanos

Meno by Plato
Ion by Plato
Birds by Aristophanes
Lysistrata by Aristophanes
The Bridge of San Luis Rey by Thornton Wilder
That Hideous Strength by C.S. Lewis
A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter M. Miller
Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
The Pickwick Papers by Charles Dickens
The Return of the King by J.R.R. Tolkien
The Two Towers by J.R.R Tolkien
The Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R. Tolkien
Brave New World by Aldous Huxley

Thistles and Thieves by Molly MacRae
The Cracked Spine by Paige Shelton
The Ghost Walker by Margaret Coel
The Incredulity of Father Brown by G. K. Chesterton
Trent’s Last Case by E. C. Bentley
The Daughter of Time by Josephine Tey (Elizabeth MacKintosh)
The Dark Wind by Tony Hillerman
Listening Woman by Tony Hillerman
The Dance Hall of the Dead by Tony Hillerman
The Blessing Way by Tony Hillerman
The Shape Shifter by Tony Hillerman
Skeleton Man by Tony Hillerman
The Sinister Pig by Tony Hillerman
The Wailing Wind by Tony Hillerman
Hunting Badger by Tony Hillerman
The First Eagle by Tony Hillerman
Twice Buried by Steven Havill
Out of Season by Steven Havill
Before She Dies by Steven F. Havill
A Study in Scarlet by Arthur Conan Doyle
Curtain by Agatha Christie
And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie
Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie

The President and the Freedom Fighter by Brian Kilmeade
The Tough Coughs As He Ploughs the Dough: Early Writings and Cartoons by Dr. Seuss
Keep Watching the Skies! American Science Fiction Movies of the Fifties, Vol 1 A-K by Bill Warren
Keep Watching the Skies! American Science Fiction Movies of the Fifties, Vol 2 L-Z by Bill Warren
What to Say When by Shawn D. Carney and Steve Karlen
Resisting Throwaway Culture: How a Consistent Life Ethic Can Unite a Fractured People by Charles C. Camosy
Jesus Politics: How to Win Back the Soul of America by Phil Robertson
August 9 by Emmanuel Charles McCarthy
unPlanned by Abby Johnson (with Cindy Lambert)
Fighting for Life: Becoming a Force for Change in a Wounded World by Lila Rose
Dark Agenda: The War to Destroy Christian America by David Horowitz
Our Only Home by the Dalai Lama and Franz Alt
40 Days for Life by David Bereit and Shawn Carney

The Comedy of Errors by William Shakespeare
Henry VI, Part III by William Shakespeare
Henry VI, Part II by William Shakespeare
Henry VI, Part I by William Shakespeare
Cymbeline by William Shakespeare
Troilus and Cressida by William Shakespeare
Henry VIII by William Shakespeare
Henry IV Part II by William Shakespeare
Much Ado About Nothing by William Shakespeare
Antony and Cleopatra by William Shakespeare
The Life and Death of King John by William Shakespeare
Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare
The Tragedy of Richard II by William Shakespeare

The Candles of My Life by Rick Iekel
The Happily Ever After by Avi Steinberg

Pax et bonum

No comments: