Tuesday, May 18, 2021

A better focus


At the book store I've run across some published instapoetry. This form of poetry is short, and many of the writers began by posting the poems on Instagram, gained fame, and then published them in books. I'm not sure all of the poetry in this form originated on Instagram, but that's what helped to give birth to the genre.

As a poet, as an English teacher, I applaud anything that helps to popularize poetry. And I have no problem with light verse (like clerihews). But, to be honest, much of the instapoetry is not real poetry. it's trite, superficial, and not really poetic; it's more like aphorisms pretending to be poems.

Being the sarcastic/satirical sort that I am, I created a parody poet based on one of the most famous of these pop poets, and wrote poems mocking the genre, sometimes even taking examples of them and just rewording them.

I got to the point where I posted some of my parodies, and some people even liked them! (Did they not get the joke?) And I was thinking of creating a fan page dedicated to this parody poet. 

But then I realized some people who truly like these poets are young, innocent, and sensitive, and I might be hurting them. And I wondered if it was worth my time and energy to do this sort of mockery when there are so many other more important issues out there. Is this really a good use of my talents (such as they are) and abilities? I have no problem with writing light verse - like clerihews - but not as a focus, and there's a cruel edge to my instapoetry parodies that I don't like.

I'm currently reading Lila Rose's book Fighting for Life: Becoming A Force For Change In A Wounded World. She talks about using our gifts for a worthy cause, being willing to take risks to fight evil and to pursue good.

In her case, it was creating Live Action and battling abortion. Abortion is a cause with which I'm already heavily involved. There is also my Secular Franciscan. Abortion and my vocation certainly merit my energy and effort, and are ways I should make use of my talents. Our region needs a Justice and Peace coordinator; I'm tempted. I certainly am concerned about abortion, the environment, the death penalty. But then there are Franciscans who are caught up with social justice issues with which I'm not comfortable - support for some of the more extreme anti-racism causes, for example - and some which I find morally objectionable like homosexual marriage. Perhaps I could be a positive alternative force?

So I won't be creating my "rupee craver" page, and I won't keep churning out instapoem parodies. But I will be seeking ways to focus on life issues like abortion, and my Franciscan vocation. 

Pax et bonum

No comments: