Thursday, May 20, 2021

Fighting For Life - Lila Rose



When I heard that Lila Rose had just published a book that included biographical material, a history of the development of Live Action, and guidance for others called to pursue a cause, I jumped at the chance to get a copy. She is one of my heroes.

Fighting For Life: Becoming A Force For Change In A Wounded World proved to be an excellent read.

The book gave me some insights into her life and growth as a pro-life icon - an honest look that acknowledged mistakes and personal issues. I have sometimes read books by people I admired, and by the end did not like them at all, saddened (even shocked) by what was revealed about them. But there have been other works that reveal flaws in the person, yet detail their struggles to transcend those flaws to be transformed into the heroic, saintly individuals they became. This latter reaction is the one I got after reading this book. Rose is not a "saint" - yet - but her honesty, commitment, and deep faith have her on that path.

Rose did talk about the history of mental issues in her family, her parents' problems, her sister's difficulties, her own struggles with depression and even self cutting. But turning to and trusting in God helped her to overcome those problems in herself. And she acknowledges that faith is and must continue to be an important part of her life and work - as it must be for anyone trying to change a wounded world.
 
I was also interested to see her describe how she created Live Action. Starting as a teen, making mistakes along the way, learning from her experiences and mentors, and recognizing the need for creating a team, she ultimately created one of the most important and influential pro-life organizations. Her lessons can serves as a guide for anyone dedicated to a worthy cause.

Reading the book made me look at myself and how I make use of my time and talents. I'm grateful for that.

The book is a quick and worthy read. I highly recommend it.

Pax et bonum

No comments: