Wednesday, May 5, 2021

The Soul’s Journey Into God by St. Bonaventure


I just finished reading The Soul’s Journey Into God by St. Bonaventure. 

I have to be honest. I'm a reasonably intelligent person, and even have a Master's in Literature and a Minor in Philosophy, but I found it a tough read.

It's not a matter of poor writing or flawed thinking; it was the deep, mystical content. So it's more a commentary on my own deficiencies as a reader and a thinker, not that of the work.

As I said, I had a minor in Philosophy - but that was more than 40 years ago. I have a Master's in Literature. I worked for more than a decade as a Catholic journalist writing analysis pieces and conducting interviews that required reading theological texts. I am likely still capable of reading such rich theological material - unless the gray cells are indeed degrading - but without a grade overhanging me, or an essay or article to write, I did not give it the careful reading it deserved.

I have intellectual inclinations, but I am not an intellectual. I have mystical inclinations, but I am not mystic. I'm really somewhat shallow and lazy.

All that aside, I found parts of it resonating with me, challenging me spiritually. The steps needed to ascend to God, and the sections on the nature of God the Father, Jesus, and the Trinity as a whole got me to pausing and reflecting. And St. Bonaventure is a Franciscan, hence part of my Secular Franciscan tradition. So it was well worth reading. And it's a work that I want to read again, perhaps more slowly and carefully. 

This work is the 40th read so far this year. Most of those have been fiction and lighter in nature. My goal for the year is 80 books - so I'm half way there and still not half way through the year. That bodes well. I'm currently reading The Pickwick Papers, and have started a collection of Father Brown mysteries, in addition to other works (poetry and essays) I'm reading in pieces.

I love retirement! 

Pax et bonum

No comments: